Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Goodreads Summary:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

My Review:
I was so surprised by this book. It wasn't just another "my touch kills" book, which seems to be so popular right now. The style of writing was different from what I have read in the past. I loved how  sentences were crossed out. Like Juliette was still trying to change the way she thought even when she wrote it down. Also the way that she would think/say things three times. It was like a nervous tick or something. It made Juliette seem more vulnerable. In the beginning I was constantly trying to figure out if Juliette was sane or not. As the book went on I got my answer. She was truly a broken spirit. To be locked away for that long with no human contact is unthinkable. To be so easily discarded by those who are suppose to love you....I truly felt for her. Her "gift" prohibits her from actually touching anyone. Well, her gift and her fear of accidentally killing someone. Her fears are real. When a mystery boy is placed in her cell things change. Juliette has a lot of strange new feelings and this boy has a lot of questions. The day the soldiers break into her cell and take her and the boy things change forever. Juliette is now involved in a plot to torture and kill people. Will she be a weapon or a warrior???

Warner proved to be a very interesting character. I haven't decided if i hate him or not. I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes then we know. I have a feeling in the Destroy Me novella we will get to know Warner a little more. I think he might be a good person deep, deep down inside. It would be interesting to get to meet his dad. Adam on the other hand is a knight in shining armor. You always remember the stuff that scars you as a kid. Adam may not have ever talked to Juliette as a child but, his presence helped. Adam may be my new favorite guy character! I hope his intentions stay true. James was also a great character. The cutest 10 year old ever! Poor kid has been through way to much to be only 10. I hope we get to see more of that little guy.

Shatter Me was a surprising great read. I can't wait for Unravel me to come out! I wish I would have read it sooner!



3 comments:

  1. This seems great and I love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shatter Me was a wonderful find! After a streak of disappointing dystopians I kind of avoided it for a long time... >.> And because I was curious, I checked on how they dealt with the strike through words in the audiobook. They made the scratching sound after each sentence. It was...interesting.

    You'll definitely get to know Warner better in the novella! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Shatter Me and loved it. I won it from Miss Kimberly Stardust @ Turning The Pages last year. I want to read Unravel Me too. I just know it will be just as good if not better.

    ReplyDelete