Friday, November 30, 2012

Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama

Goodreads Summary:

Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences.

Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra’s help, Hester investigates her family’s strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean—but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago.


My Review:
I had wanted to read Monstrous beauty I had heard a lot about it. I loved the cover it was so pretty. I really liked the book as I was reading it but, toward the middle and the end I found that I got confused a lot. There were so many different aspects of the story...mermaids, ghosts, crazy deaths, curses, and insta love. The story is about a curse that has caused a lot of trouble for Hester's family. She eventually figures out why, after meeting the pastor and Ezra. There are mysterious forces at work. Between all the ghosts, curses, and sole swapping I got lost a couple times. It made sense in the end but, I had a hard time getting really into the story. I felt like when she was with the mermaids that it wasn't really necessary. Maybe separately the story would have been better.

I really liked Hester. She didn't know it until further in but, she was the lightening rod to the crazy stuff happening in her town. She started a chain of events that threw her for a loop. I liked the relationship between Hester and Ezra. It felt so fast but, it made more sense at the end. The book goes back and forth between time periods with Ezra and Syrenka's story and Hester's story.

I felt so bad for Ezra! He was such a sweet heard and just wanted to be with his love. He has been through so much that when his story ended I didn't feel bad. He needed peace! All that just to be with the one you love. Kind of a dream guy, not many would do what he did.

This review was harder to write. The book didn't stand out as much as I hoped it would. I still enjoyed the story however. And if you like killer mermaids instead of the Disney version you will like this book.

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy this book despite it's faults. I liked the supernatural aspect to it way more than I thought I would :)

    ReplyDelete