Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Goodreads Summary:

On her 17th birthday, everything will change for Violet Eden. The boy she loves will betray her. Her enemy will save her. She will have to decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice. 
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, EMBRACE is a compelling novel of good and evil, seductive desires and impossible choices. A centuries old war between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity chooses a new fighter. It's a battle Violet doesn't want, but she lives her life by two rules: don't run and don't quit. If angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden. 
LINCOLN: He's been Violet's one anchor, her running partner and kickboxing trainer. Only he never told her he's Grigori--part human, part angel--and that he was training her for an ancient battle between Angels and Exiles. 
PHOENIX: No one knows where his loyalties lie, yet he's the only one there to pick up the pieces and protect her after Lincoln's lies. In a world of dark and light, he is all shades of gray. 
Two sides: Angel or Exile.
Two guys: Lincoln or Phoenix.
The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity... 
"In her YA paranormal romance debut, Jessica Shirvington combines "the badass-action of Vampire Academy, the complex love triangles of Twilight, and the angel mythology of Fallen, taken one step further." --

My Review:
I was lucky enough to win a hardcover of this book in a giveaway. It was one that I really wanted to win because the cover is so gorgeous! I didn't really know what to expect with this book. I liked the main character Violet. There were times where I just wanted to reach through the book and shake her! I was like "open your eyes, your getting played!!". When she is betrayed by someone she loves it kind of breaks her. She always said she wasn't going to run but, I felt like she did that an awful lot when it came to her emotions. Doing "things" just to distract herself from how she felt. Let's face it we all do that. We try to distract ourselves when things get hard or difficult decisions need to be made. 

My heart broke for Lincoln throughout this book. To be constantly shot down like he was...ugh! I felt so bad for him. Violet's hate made so much more sense at the end of the book. I was much better after the ending. I won't tell you why because you do need to read the book! As far as Phoenix is concerned, I never liked him. I was always suspicious of him because he never really answered Violet's questions. 

I enjoyed this read and it was different then a lot of other angel books I have read. The concept of Embracing is very creative and having to "take a leap of faith" was brilliant. If you are looking for something different then what is out there and that takes a few crazy turns this is a book for you! I will be waiting on the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Great review.

    I recently got the first four books as a gift. Hope to read them soon.

    ReplyDelete