Saturday, March 31, 2012

Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver

Goodreads Summary:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Review may contain spoilers if you haven’t read the book yet! FYI! Click Read More at the bottom to see the full review :)


My Review:
This book had a very different storyline. I have never read a book quite like this one before. Amor Deliria Nervosa was a very interesting topic. I think being a nurse kind of made me think about it more. Amor Deliria Nervosa is simply the disease of love. The government has cured this disease and people no longer “love”. This was just fascinating to me, because it kind of made sense. People no longer die of a broken heart or are depressed because a loved one has left or died. It’s a very interesting concept. I really liked this story it was different from a lot of YA out there.

The book takes it’s time getting into the thick of things which is great because you need a background on what was going on and what the cure meant to society and the idea of Invalids. It is a dystopian society that was unfamiliar and captivating. I really like dystopian books because it takes you to a completely different reality. This book does just that.

Lena is probably my new hero. I love her name by the way Magdalena, it’s awesome. She is so excited for her procedure that will cure her because of what happened with her mother. It was interesting to see her grow from a bystander in her life to a full blown participant. She became such a strong person and much braver then I thought she would be. Of course. I really liked the other characters too. Alex really stood up for what he believed in and  I liked that. Hana, Lena’s best friend, is also a fun person. She was kind of a comic relief. It will be interesting to see what happens with Gracie. I feel like there is more to her then meets the eye.

 When Lena does fall in love it puts her life in jeopardy and the life of her friends. How you hide love in world full of regulations and no feeling? The ending made me cry! I have to read the next book to see what happens after that ending! I would highly recommend this book. 


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I wasn't sure whether to pick this on up, but after reading your review I'm definitely gonna make sure I get it at some point :)

    ReplyDelete