Monday, November 11, 2013

Vain by Fisher Amelie

Goodreads Summary:
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I've found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.


I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

My Review:
I was worried that I wouldn't like the main character much in this one. I mean come on, a vain girl? However, it turns out I liked Sophie! Vain is story about how a girl who doesn't really like herself or the person she is blossoms into a beautiful person. Sophie had it all, money, men, and drugs. She is the queen bee of all her rich friends. She takes who and what she wants when she wants it, because she can. She is beautiful and knows it. She uses it to get what she wants. Unfortunately. for her, she gets caught with drugs for a second time and the judge isn't lenient. She is sentenced to six months in Africa at her Fathers lawyers orphanage. This is the worst thing Sophie could imagine. How can she go to Africa where there is hardly electricity and warm water? Will Sophie be able to do this? Will this be what it takes to change someone who has given up on herself?

Sophie's life is one of privilege. She lives in luxury. However, her parents are pretty much out of the picture. They don't seem to care about her very much. They are simply her parents. I felt bad for her. I feel like what she did was just to get their attention. This punishment actually scares her. She is worried about how she will manage it and if she can actually do it. Things start out kind of rocky. The man who is sent to pick her up, Ian “Dingane” Aberdeen, automatically assumes he knows what kind of person she is and that she isn't going to be able to do this. Karina and Charles are a little more perceptive to her. She is in a state of shock for a while. This isn't your average orphanage. Her eyes are opened to the horrors these kids have been through. Little does she know they will forever change her. 

Ian is probably your ideal image of a hero. He is beautiful, amazing with children, and probably has the biggest heart in the world. He is pretty perfect. He has dedicated his life to these kids and wouldn't be anywhere else. He is hard to get to know and kid of a quite guy int he beginning. He ends up helping Sophie become a better person. Well and they flirt...a lot. I would have looooved a little more romance but, I'm ok with it. 

The ending was perfect! I just fell in love with this story. I couldn't put it down. I instantly went and bought Greed when I was done. Read it people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment